02-25-24, 11:59 AM   #1
thepariah
A Murloc Raider
Random dragonriding mount?

I'd like to have a button I can bind on my action bars that randomizes the mounts I own that have the dragonriding capability.

I have the summon favorite mount button, but I deliberately only favorite non-dragonriding mounts because I sometimes want or need to have more control of my mount. So favoriting and using a macro is not really an option.

At present, I just have a single dragonriding mount bound to my keybinds, but I'd like to use more of the ones I have. Any help would be great!!!
02-25-24, 02:10 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you tried this one. It might have more than what you want but it looks to have random mount functionality, hopefully that includes the dragonflight mounts as well.

https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...yTLV.html#info

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
02-25-24, 03:49 PM   #3
thepariah
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Have you tried this one. It might have more than what you want but it looks to have random mount functionality, hopefully that includes the dragonflight mounts as well.

I'll give it a whirl. My concern with the addons I've seen out there is that I use MountJournal Enhanced to summon pets that match the mounts. I am concerned with using a preexisting addon that the functionalities might conflict. I'll try it though and report back.
02-26-24, 06:39 AM   #4
thepariah
A Murloc Raider

Tried it. Unfortunately it doesn't help. We need something that deliberately separates dragonriding from other mounts. Now that dragonriding is available all over Azeroth, the older addons like this one will just give preference to dragonriding.

My thinking is that there are certain quests etc. where you're going to need the precision or regular mounts and other goals where you will want the speed of dragonriding. At the same time, folks want to be able to randomize their mounts. The "Summon Random Favorite Mount" button works perfect for regular mounts if that is all you have favorited. Now, we just need the equivalent but with only dragonriding mounts. It would be fine if we had to add them to a list or select them to aid the addon in finding them.

Anyone willing to take a stab at coding it?
02-26-24, 08:46 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Are you wanting an addon that only wants Dragonriding ONLY mounts ( the ones you can ONLY get in Dragonflight zone ) in a random shuffle or dynamic flight able mounts ?

The changes Blizzard are implementing ( some already done ) is the ability to turn on and off the dynamic flight ability for other mounts and not just the dragonriding dragons we initially started with in Dragonflight.

For example: Some of the old world dragons will have the ability to use dynamic flight ( dragonriding ) and old school flight (able to stop midflight ).

And they plan to expand the ability to other flying mounts that aren't able to immediately utilise the dynamic flight system due to their visual makeup ( such as the magic carpet ).

Looking at the MountJournal API

https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/API_C_...tMountInfoByID

They added isForDragonriding variable to the return values. This would likely be added to the other mounts once they have been set up to work with the dragonriding system.

Characters:

02-26-24, 08:50 AM   #6
thepariah
A Murloc Raider
Are you wanting an addon that only wants Dragonriding ONLY mounts ( the ones you can ONLY get in Dragonflight zone ) in a random shuffle or dynamic flight able mounts ?

The changes Blizzard are implementing ( some already done ) is the ability to turn on and off the dynamic flight ability for other mounts and not just the dragonriding dragons we initially started with in Dragonflight.

For example: Some of the old world dragons will have the ability to use dynamic flight ( dragonriding ) and old school flight (able to stop midflight ).

And they plan to expand the ability to other flying mounts that aren't able to immediately utilise the dynamic flight system due to their visual makeup ( such as the magic carpet ).

Looking at the MountJournal API

https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/API_C_...tMountInfoByID

They added isForDragonriding variable to the return values. This would likely be added to the other mounts once they have been set up to work with the dragonriding system.
Yeah, essentially I want to be able to summon a random mount capable of dragonriding using a button. With the planned changes, the list of those capable will be growing. So ideally the addon would use a function like what you shared, but if to get it to work we need to select them, I'm okay with that as well. Ultimately, there may be folks who want a subset of dragonflight-capable mounts to be selected from within the total population so supporting that long-term would be good, but certainly not a requirement for what I need. I don't mind giving equal attention to all the dragonflight-capable amounts with such an addon.
02-26-24, 09:37 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It sounds feasible and could give the new dragonriding able mounts a new lease for life.

What I was envisioning was a single moveable button ( think ExtraAction or ZoneAbility ) that would randombly pick one of the mounts from a list and reselect another everytime the button is used for next time.

But, seeing as I know I am used to clicking the same button to dismount as well, maybe have the next mount be chosen after you dismount.

I've bookmarked the thread but, will wait to see if someone else wants to give this a go. It sounds relatively simple to do.

Characters:

02-26-24, 11:25 AM   #8
thepariah
A Murloc Raider
It sounds feasible and could give the new dragonriding able mounts a new lease for life.

What I was envisioning was a single moveable button ( think ExtraAction or ZoneAbility ) that would randombly pick one of the mounts from a list and reselect another everytime the button is used for next time.

But, seeing as I know I am used to clicking the same button to dismount as well, maybe have the next mount be chosen after you dismount.

I've bookmarked the thread but, will wait to see if someone else wants to give this a go. It sounds relatively simple to do.
That would be amazing! I will wait with anticipation.
03-01-24, 05:14 AM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Good news and Bad news

Good news - button works ( it moves, it toggles etc )

Bad news - apparently the dragonriding mounts don't get selected when listing mounts. And none of the mounts that are listed show up as dragonriding able.

Code used:
Lua Code:
  1. local function BuildDynamicFlightMountsList()
  3.     local mountIDs = C_MountJournal.GetMountIDs()
  5.     for i = 1,#mountIDs do
  6.         local name, spellID, icon, isActive, isUsable, sourceType, isFavorite, isFactionSpecific, faction, shouldHideOnChar, isCollected, mountID, isForDragonriding = C_MountJournal.GetMountInfoByID(i)
  8.         XMount_MountList[i] = {
  9.             ["index"] = i,
  10.             ["mountID"] = mountID,
  11.             ["name"] = name,
  12.             ["spellID"] = spellID,
  13.             ["icon"] = icon,
  14.             ["isActive"] = isActive,
  15.             ["isUsable"] = isUsable,
  16.             ["isCollected"] = isCollected,
  17.             ["isForDragonriding"] = isForDragonriding,
  18.         }
  19.     end    
  21. end

It returned an over 9000 line table list containing over 1000 entries ( many blank ) and my Dragonriding Proto-Drakes weren't there ( I have 2 on my max level warlock ). And none of the other mounts are showing as Dragonriding.

I even went to Stormwind ( an annoying option as I haven't got the portal set up on the Dragon Isles ) and even resorted to simplifying the code to

Lua Code:
  1. XMount_MountList[i] = C_MountJournal.GetMountInfoByID(i)

In case they had changed the return values

Neither of my Dragonriding mounts are in the mount list generated. Despite being in my mount screen when selecting collected known dragonriding as filters.

Characters:

03-01-24, 12:48 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Aha, problem solved.. I was using the index rather than the mountID to get the info.

I also found this one while searching for options
local mountIDs = C_MountJournal.GetCollectedDragonridingMounts()

This would streamline that list down considerably.

Back to work

Edit:
Okay, finally got it working the way I expected.

Just need to build the combat related protection into it. And find somewhere where it will trigger an error so I can test the fallback for it.

Characters:

Last edited by Xrystal : 03-01-24 at 02:29 PM.
03-06-24, 01:29 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
And .. drum roll .....

https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...micFlight.html

Give it a test run. You might see something or do stuff in a different way to me and it may need some adjustments.

The files have plenty of comments and at present little to no language requirements ( apart from the keybinding text ).

Characters:

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Random dragonriding mount?