Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
12-11-18, 11:18 PM   #1
Terenna
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Changes to how guild messages are handled in chat

Good evening all,

With 8.1 I noticed something strange about the messages from CHAT_MSG_GUILD event. Specifically, argument 1 is displaying something different from what is being put into the final chat. That is, there's some function that I can't identify in the blizzard code that is wrapping guild messages.

To explain this better, I gsub'd the arg1 of guild messages to look for '|' and replace it with '||' thereby breaking hyperlinks to see what they look like. If I typed something like 'test' without the quotes into guild chat, arg1 would show up as 'test' without the quotes, but my gsub'd message would show up as |Kv26|k. the integer after v increased by one as more and more chat messages entered guild chat. This is unique to guild messages, I do not belong to any communities in game, but I suspect this may be occurring there, too. I tried searching the blizzard code on townlong yak, but the only thing I could find was https://www.townlong-yak.com/framexm...Frame.lua#3098 which runs the chat through a function called 'Ambiguate' but I couldn't locate this function on the website.

If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TL;DR 8.1 is creating |K|k wrapped messages for guild chat and I don't know which function is doing it. This was not occurring in 8.0.

Last edited by Terenna : 12-12-18 at 01:29 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Changes to how guild messages are handled in chat