Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
04-14-09, 04:40 AM   #11
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rendus View Post
And therein lies the problem. The authors of addons feel that the ability of the user to actually find and use their addon should be inhibited for whatever reason - I'm not sure if it's vanity, if it's some misplaced desire to control every aspect of their project, if it's just open hostility toward the people they wrote the addon for.

My point is solely this: I cannot understand why the addon authors, who have no stake in WoWInterface or Curse, are so vehemently against alternate means of getting their addons.
If you created something, only to discover it being distributed (directly or indirectly) by someone that wasn't even gracious enough to ask if its ok, then perhaps it did not upset you. Do not presume however that this logic applies to everyone. WM is just taking advantage of a technicality to avoid copyright infringement, by masking distribution as "linking". It is not legally wrong, but it is morally. Surprisingly enough, some do care.

As for who makes money out of it, it's not my primary concern either, however I can see how it can be a concern and given the option, I'd much rather have the people who are gracious enough to host the addons, benefit from it financially than anyone else. Why ? Because they make authors lives easier, they provide tools, repository system, packagers, the works. I hope that it is now crystal clear on why some of us have this "misplaced desire to control every aspect of our project". Misplaced desire, rofl. Really, now.

Want to walk your average WOW users through this? At a casual glance, I can't even find the WoWInterface installer. Find? Nothing. Community? This. Addons? Well, those are addons. Projects? Nope, a SVN repository of addons in various questionable stages of quality. Forums? This heap again.

I google for "wowinterface addon updater", and first hit has this gem:

Please Note: This updater is being discontinued. We're allowing you to continue downloading this current version until the new one is ready, but please be aware that it may not work as well as could be hoped for.

Well... That's... Good. So do I download that or not?

I know I wouldn't.
Here, you are just rambling. There are no "questionable stages of quality" in the repository. The vast majority of authors using it, are actively doing so. Most of the addons are very much usable and search can perform miracles, if you are patient and know what you are looking for. Hint : 'Favorites' are your friend.

All in all, if you are unfamiliar with the site, you can just as well seek help in a reasonable and polite manner. If you are here to stir trouble or vent your frustration due to your precious updater being broken on a patch day, then, as the moderators will probably confirm, you picked the wrong site.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users